Monday, November 21, 2011

ER

A love letter.

I’ve been just enjoying it, episode by episode, no rush. I have time and time to watch this amazing series because I have years ahead to follow.
I need to start by point out this great tenderness I have towards ‘ER’ because it reminds me of my childhood. I was such a kid. I can easily remember John Carter because I saw him again years later, probably a decade later. But I didn’t remember George Clooney or Julianna Mergulies. I do remember all this doctors constantly saving lives. I remember sometimes I was too afraid of watching so I would look away or close my eyes because sometimes there was too much blood. What I remember the most was the helicopters arriving to the hospital, actually. That stayed in my memory very vividly. 


‘ER’ was my mom’s favorite show and still is. Now, watching the first season, for the first time really, it’s only clearer and obvious why it was such a tremendous success. It’s only a confirmation. I finished the first season really fast and I loved it. I was so impressed by it, so impressed by these amazing characters. The first season will stay very dear to me, my favorite really.


Starting with the intro, which was an instant classic. It’s this perfect representation – it’s suffocating rhythm and the emergency sense that comes out of it. Then the doctors and nurses all with this unique temper. What is so great about this series is really the relations between these people, the interaction between all of them in one work place. Sometimes it’s like we are in this Robert Altman’s film where everything is happening in just one shot; we can look at many different points and see that there is something happening. It’s about this constant environment. I know saying this series are unbelievably human is obvious, because lives are constantly being saved but it’s much more than that. It’s also how the story telling puts these characters, without pretentiousness, in these vulnerable positions, in moments of imminent stress, when you stay amazed by the reality of the situation. Not to mention the team work, the casting crew and production.


ER is special. It’s also so great to watch this show with my mom because she remembers. And I always have to hear her asking me this same question, every time Susan walks in a scene: how beautiful is she? And I have to confirm it.


Meanwhile Season 2 is gone and I’m into the third one. Susan is gone and I’ll be grieving her absence very deeply and sadly. I will miss her. Only five years later I’ll be able to see her again. Until then, lots of episodes I’ll be watching.


P.S - I just started watching Season Four...

No comments:

Post a Comment