Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscar Season

Now I'm EXTREMELY bored.
The Academy Awards nominations were announced and obviously I'm at the same time surprised and really upset...

Starting with an Epic Fail:
Were they sure? Is Chastain nominated for The Tree of Life or The Help? For seconds I was happy.
Actually I never thought she would get an Oscar nomination. I knew she had a lot of films but I never thought she would get this far.


Melissa McCarthy - Hilarious and deserving...Janet McTeer, again I'm just close minded about the whole thing around Albert Nobbs. But I'm not saying she wasn't great. And the soon winner Octavia Spencer, for The Help.
Shailene Woodley, I'm sorry. I really liked you in The Descendents. You were great. Great role and great performance.



Best Supporting Actor -
Left out - Albert Brooks. I think it' fair.
Surprises - Max von Sydow (it's his second Oscar nomination) and Nick Nolte (the comeback).
Christopher Plummer, Jonah Hill and Kenneth Branagh were already in.


I shouted "ROONEY MARA", and five seconds later I think of Keira Knightley, Tilda Swinton, Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg and other outsiders. But I guess its ok. There's been always a new face coming around over the past few years.
Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Viola Davis and Michelle Williams are naturally in. The question is - Will Viola Davis be the surprise???


They said Demian Bishir and I thought, "Bye, Leo" the Academy clearly overrates you. But I didn't thought MICHAEL FASSBENDER would be left out and Gary Oldman would be in. Common. What a shame. And where is Ryan Gosling? Nothing? At least Brad Pitt is in.
I kind of knew it. They always choose an indie outsider. Always. Like Melissa Leo in Frozen River, like Jennifer Lawrence, like Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson. Now I have to watch A Better Life.


Best Picture
War Horse (Bullshit)
The Artist (Winner?)
Moneyball
The Descendants
The Tree of Life (The Surprise)
Midnight in Paris
The Help
Hugo
Extremely Loud (Between Scott Rudin's 'Dragon Girl' and this one - they chose the worst.)



Where is 'Drive' for instance? 'Win Win' is better than 'Extremely Loud' but that doesn't matter at this point. Even Melancholia, The Kid with a Bike. I don't know, who cares!


Best Achievement in Directing
The french outsider will probably win.


Adapted Screenplay.

Original Screenplay.


'Pina' got a nomination for Best Documentary and that's it. She was also in consideration for Best Foreign Language Film.
Belgium, Poland, Canada, Israel and Iran are the five foreign countries. 'Bullhead', 'In Darkness', 'Monsieur Lahzar', 'Footnote' and 'A Separation'.




So, the win win scores:
Versatile George Clooney got two nominations - Best Actor (The Descendents) and Screenplay (The Ides of March).
Brad Pitt - Best Actor and Best Picture (Moneyball).


John Williams - Two times nominated for 'Tintin' and 'War Horse'. So it's his one hundred and tenth nomination. Probably more. He already has five Oscars in his fireplace.


Cinematography Wins - 
The Tree of Life - Emmanuel Lubezki.
War Horse - Janusz Kaminski. He's funny!
!!

Midnight in Paris - Best Film, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay.


Terrence Malick wow...that was surprising. I don't know...


Kristen Wigg and Annie Mumulo for Best Original Screenplay.
(I couldn't help it)

Asghar Farhadi - A Spearation. You know what I'm thinking...accent pronouncing joke.


One thing is certain - there are lots of veterans in this year's Oscars. From John Williams to Robert Richardson (double Oscar winner Cinematographer) to Thelma Schoonmaker (double Oscar winner Editor). Sandy Powell (three time Oscar winner!), Dante Ferretti (double Oscar winner Production Designer). And so on.


Losers -
No nomination in Score for Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ for Dragon Tattoo.


'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' - Not an entire looser, technically speaking. David Fincher was left out though. Probably unfair. Again. Ok, it is a looser. When Extremely Loud and War Horse are in and this one is not, the film becomes a looser.


What the hell happen with BEST DOCUMENTARY nominees? 
Where are Project Nim and Senna and Bill Cunningham New York...




Steven Spielberg, I guess. And 'Tintin'.


Quite surprising - the Animation nominees.


Whatelse? Oh, THE ARTIST got, I don't know, twenty five nominations? He got ten. Not bad. 
HUGO is the winner, with eleven nominations. I definitely want to see it. I'm not very confortable with 3D, though...




Here's what I'm asking to the Hollywood Gods - please give me some surprises. Please.


No comments:

Post a Comment