Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Like Crazy

Directed by Drake Doremus.
Written by Drake Doremus and Ben York Jones.

I feel like writing a love letter about this film, it makes sense to me.
This film premiered in Sundance more than a year ago and won the Dramatic Prize and also a special prize for Felicity Jones. It’s what I expected and it’s what I didn’t expect.
Like Crazy it’s a plain love story between a British student and an American. Anna and Jacob fall in love and they can’t stand be apart from each other. It all comes down to the choice she makes when she decides to stay in United States and overrules her Visa. From this moment on the film takes you in this rollercoaster of ups and downs, from hopefulness to sorrow. I think at some level everyone knowledge the feelings of these two young people, even if our actions wouldn’t naturally be the same. 


If there’s one thing I love when I watch a film it’s the simplicity of it. Some may argue the film doesn’t go too far, that the story isn’t crazy enough. I actually don’t disagree. But this film still gives me true beautiful moments of which I believe its cinema. Often conducted by these two amazing and gifted actors named Anton Yelchin and Felicity Jones. It’s in the way Anna and Jacob behave, it’s the way she’s so stuck she can’t talk and hardly breath. It’s the way no man or woman is a soulless and a fool in the story. It’s the awkwardness when Anna is proposed. It’s in their eyes towards the end, in their look. It’s also in the quick paced editing, it’s how they film closely to these characters, and it’s how they film close to the sunset. I don’t get to see this often. A film with this approach, with this acting and its end are kind of rare. Specially in this genre. It’s beautiful how they show emotion and the reflections they brought in us so for me that’s good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment