Friday, May 4, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Like I said, I was supposed to feel bad, but the irony of it is that I never felt so good. 

The story of Man who Hate Women it’s not a story that comes along often. There’s a strong implicit human side and I’m not only thinking about the women’s advocateness but the many other aspects of this story. For instance, the infamous rape scene and consequent revenge. Lisbeth Salander isn’t obviously a regular human being, because this (hypothetically) revenge wouldn’t happen in other circumstances. But what she had already been through, her toughness and mind control made her do so. Stieg Larsson decided to create someone who was mentally strong enough to do that kind of revenge. He could also focus all his attention in this matter but that is why the story is so interesting. He also tells the story of a man; he’s a journalist with integrity, even if it’s shaken for a moment. There’s not an inch of sexual discrimination either offensiveness towards women, he just respects every single person, either male or female. Larsson also represents a family with sick people; husbands who beat their wives, anti-semis. But he also portraits a faithful man, kind enough to treat someone with care. He shows it’s possible to have a good man in the middle of a sick chaos. It’s rich, it’s thoughtful, tireless and kind and I think Fincher and Zaillian’s adaption keeps its richness alive. There’s much to contemplate.


I went to the theater with perhaps too much to take on. My relation to this film is quite complete, I think I experienced the many different ways one can with the story of Man who Hate Women. I saw the Swedish adaptation without reading the books, which is significant when you’re watching something with a story like this one. Now knowing the books and being a complete admirer of the Swedish adaptation.
I was always emerged in this different environment. I didn’t felt like making comparisons, because in order to do so I need to consider primarily the different levels of production. Then it’s just a matter of different approaches to the story. Which are really in the details.


About Rooney Mara and Noomi Rapace, all I can think of is how brave they are. Hands down to them. They both give everything; they both expose themselves to this character in the most naked way. They both collaborated to the faithfulness of Lisbeth Salander. Then, the rest is just a matter of taste.

This film was one of those films; it stayed in my mind vividly, almost scene by scene. And I felt good because I was watching challenging cinema and a significant and worth story. I just wished I had seen the film in other circumstances. It was maybe too much to take in; trying to separate three things at the same time. I wished Oscars weren’t any near this for instance. But that’s gone now.

P.S.
By the way, I prefer the dragon tattoo from the US version!


No comments:

Post a Comment