Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises


There’s nothing like going to a theater after being for about two weeks listening the national anthem of the United States of America and then hear it again in a whole different set, with someone on my left side singing along, making sure to tell she knew her anthem. You know what? I wish I had enjoyed this film more, because I was really willing to do that even though my usual position on these type of films. I had my expectations, I knew what I was going for, it’s not that it disappointed me but I feel bad for my spoiled easiness of just shrugging my shoulders as the film ends. I didn’t felt much, ‘meh’ was my expression.
I don’t know if it’s because of this economic crisis, but I’m looking at this film and I’m thinking, god so much money spent, for what, to see Batman and his easy psychology? We all know the story of Batman; we all know how cheesy it truly is! A young kid gets the trauma of fear and later seeks justice for their parents. Not to mention, for me, there’s really no such thing as good or wrong, there’s no such thing as hero or villain, it’s more complex than this, this world. So then to see all this child’s traumas, all the pain, then again how cheesy Batman can be, like when he comes with his easy psychology on Selina, ‘You’re not just doing this for blablabla, you’re also looking for a new start’. Oh, please! I’m sorry dudes who like comic fiction and super heroes, I mean dudes as in both genres, or maybe I’m not that sorry. I have to say that I’m not an expert on comics, on super heroes or even previous adaptations of the sort, I mean, I’m no expert at all. I’m not even mentioning plot holes or convenience scenes or anything like that, you see, Batman is the one who comes and cleans, he is good and because he wants the good to his Gotham. I say that everyone should be super heroes on a daily bases and I want to be the believer who thinks that it just can’t take one person to come and do the right thing for all, no, this is not how it is supposed to work. It’s everyone being a super hero every now and then that we get there. Everyone needs help. The notion that Gotham has Batman to protect it, that’s where things fall apart for me. Towards the end, Batman says everyone could be a super hero. I would agree on that but only correct and say that everyone should be a super hero. A super hero helping an old lady in the street, a volunteer, going to parades and show how you care, you know, stuff like that. You want to see good then do good. The part where Batman comes and saves the day, that’s bullshit. 


Apart for this outer world, what else do I have to say about the film? I enjoyed the performances; my favorite is probably Tom Hardy, possibly because I couldn’t see his face and it worked. I didn’t dislike Anne Hathaway, so that’s definitely good. Poor Joseph Gordon Levitt is all sad for his past and all he wants is justice. I like Gordon Levitt as an actor and I believe his versatility, but I didn’t felt that strongly with his presence in this one. I love Marion Cotillard, so I really disliked the fact that she dies and doesn’t explode with anything. I was a bit disturbed by the convenience scenes between Bruce and Miranda; so, ok, you accept the deal, rainy day, I’m broke but still with a mansion, so now we kiss and make out by the fireplace. Is there a particular reason? Do we really need chemistry here? He’s a hot billionaire; she just saved his work and is also nice looking, why not? The film didn’t had that moment yet, let’s put it here in the middle. The rest of the film’s work, technically speaking, they made it look easy.
“In ‘reality’, Batman would never be with Catwoman, neither wouldn’t she demote before him. Random thought”, texted my friend hours later. I don’t know why she was still thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment