Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pictures of You - Evelyne Brochu

Evelyne Brochu
Rising Star

Inch'Allah
Written and Directed by Anais Barbeu-Lavalette.

It is probably unfair to start by saying Inch'Allah isn't a transcendent story because it is one that deserves attention regardless, it is above all quite a decent one - it's reliable and competent. It is elementary and perhaps sometimes light for the theme at hands, which is the Palestinian conflict, it isn't exceptional but it is a very authentic portrait of this war, where a Canadian Doctor sees herself between these two different realities, between Israel and the other side of the wall. The thing is that these films are brave from the very beginning. For once, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to film in locations and how hard it is to bring that authenticity, how hard and attentive it needs to be the work of the actors. So yes, I really admire the effort and obviously, these films need all the attention possible and recognition.


There's quite an intense dramatic moment in Inch'Allah when the doctor, Chloé, carries a baby delivered just moments ago in the back seat of a car standing still between Palestinian and Israeli borders. Evelyne Brochu, playing Chloé, at the moment she realizes the newborn is dead, it’s like she can’t even breathe. For moments it’s like she’s suffocating. And so are we.

Frisson des Collines
Directed by Richard Roy, co-written with Michel Michaud.

A coming of age story, a minor film but nonetheless it does bring some entertaining moments. Can I identify greatly with the kid, our protagonist? Yes, I sure can. Maybe except I would be probably a lot worse. He actually played quite cool around his beautiful teacher and he also didn't took advantage from his sorrow. He is actually quite a decent kid, and after all, he just wanted to go to Woodstock. He also made it. He deserved it.


About Evelyne Brochu - like I said earlier, I would totally fall for the beautiful teacher like the kid did for some time! Though she's so beautiful it is hard to keep up with the frames, it's really really hard. Can you believe her face? But this is not the point; the point is that she looks really good and reliable in these different times and with different hairstyles and different attitudes and so on. Given that these two films I'm mentioning couldn't be millions further away from each other. And I usually love this.
This leads me to my favorite of the three films I've seen with my recent take on a Francophone actress.

Cafe de Flore
Written and Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée.

My first impression of Café de Flore is that I'm not entirely sure what happened and I don't really know if I believe in its premise, if I'm obviously thinking the right one at all. Maybe I'm saying I don't believe in coincidences, which why would I not believe in coincidences? (I need to give it more thought.) But somehow I was absolutely touched by this film.


The film grows in you. There's definitely something tangible about the story presented to us. It is also heartfelt. I just hoped they didn't had to choose to show us those coincidences, in the credits - the portrait for one and then gives us the plane explosion (which as I gave the film a second view, the same shot happens in the beginning, so he had already unveiled something to us). 
I get it, or I don't get it. Do we control or don't we control our lives? Of course we don't and of course we do. Anything's possible. Perhaps in the bigger extent, we can't really control it. I think this side is stronger than the other.


Seriously, it sounds like I'm talking a bit abstract here. The film does bring us a story about love. We have a mother's love, her resilience, her strength to raise a mongoloid in the sixties. With a transcendent performance from Vanessa Paradis. The first time I've seen her. And then we have a story of a man who recently separated from his long companion when he fell completely head over heels in love with a younger woman. I love the performance of the ex wife Hélène Florent.
That young woman is played by the beautiful Evelyne Brochu. She does have a rather ungrateful role, playing the man's younger lover. She barely has a line; she only comes out, per say, through the last part of the film, when she becomes the least substantial.
She could be a bitter character, but Evelyne/Rose is tender and true and not for a bit annoying in her position. She's lovely and thoughtful. The writer does bring humanity and consciousness to this young woman, she may be the man's lover but she's also a person and a vulnerable one.


The abstract part I was talking about Cafe de Flore is that these two stories from different places and different times, the mother-son and twenty first century lovers, are connected. I think it ends up being a good film because it makes you believe in it. And the thing is, as the days pass, I like the film more and more.


To say or even to ask how much music is important in this film is beyond the point, the point being just to talk about it. To think who made the film for once; I wouldn't be surprised if he had heard the song Cafe de Flore and from here he wrote the entire story around it, and this would make total sense because it is also what the film is about. Everything feels pretty in the story, like the songs were made for that exact moment.


The fact is that as the days pass I like the film more and more. With no surprise, I now realize Cafe de Flore reminds me of Evelyne Brochu and like in the film, it feels so fucking good and reassuring. Like anything's possible. The last part is not quite true though.

Stunning, gorgeous women. The man was really lucky.

It’s the confirmation of a Rising Star. Evelyne Brochu.




Ah! How could I have finished this post without mentioning Evelyne will be starring in the new film by Xavier Dolan - Tom a la Ferme. Where she'll be playing, I heard, the lighter and 'optimistic' character from the highly disturbing storytelling. Now I'm really looking forward to see this film.



This could have been a post called the good old Crush on Her!

No comments:

Post a Comment