Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sundance 2014


from The Hollywood Reporter.

The talk from many films was so good, so interesting, so appealing. Obviously, this is what I can talk about…Pretty interesting stories or rather reviews coming from Sundance. You can always sense the films working out or that will work out and the films that won’t.  Then there are a few that’s just pretty unpredictable. Like the documentary The Green Prince, with two very distinct reviews here and here.
And then you have the names alone. Like Mike Cahill, who is back this year after Another Earth. He’s the scientist filmmaker. Or Richard Linklater with his exceptional film called Boyhood. Well, I’m pretty sure it will be a pretty exceptional film. You must know the reasons by now. It was filmed for over ten years, following the growing up of two children and the intricacies of their parents marriage.


Gay gay gay. There are some fair amount of gay to look at. Actually LGBT.

Here are the films I stand out.


Laggies
Because of Lynn Shelton. Because of Keira Knightley. Every now and then I am hit with overwhelming feelings of affection for Keira Knightley.


Appropriate Behaviour
I don’t like when people say ‘She could be the next this person, he could be the next other person…’ I know it helps to create a bridge of understanding, but at the same time it’s a pretty inaccurate way to do it. Above all, this person can’t be anyone else but her! Anyway, Desiree Akhavan is been compared to the name Lena Dunham and Girls. Her film had a great reception and I can’t wait. It seems everyone loved it.


The Skeleton Twins
Because there are twins. I like the premise. It also won the Screenplay award.


I, Origins
I absolutely loved Another Earth. I’m looking forward to a new challenge.


Whiplash
It was the premier film. Everyone liked it. It end up winning the audience award and Grand Jury Dramatic.


Frank

They Came Together
Wet Hot American Summer is probably the first reference. I just hope it isn’t something like the awful A.C.O.D.


A Most Wanted Man


Life After Beth

Happy Christmas


Listen Up Philip


The One I love


Obvious Child
Dear White People
The Sleepwalker
52 Tuesdays
Blind


Jamie Marks is Dead


Little Accidents
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night


God Help the Girl I like musicals sometimes.
The Cooties

Docs
Pretty much most of them!
Special mention to Lucy Walker, she brought this really special short doc called The Lion’s Mouth Opens. It’s fifteen minutes long and follows Marianna Parker, an actress born in Scotland, who’s about to find out if whether she inherited Huntington’s Desease from her father or not.

The Overnighters
Dinosaur 13


The Case Against 8
Rich Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment